A common expression of mine

A common expression of mine
Don't let that face fool ya, I'm a real charmer :)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Smock Apron

Today I made a smocket...smock apron for children.  I've made one before for my friends little girl.  I bought the pink camo fabric to make her another apron with.  You can find the pattern and the instructions here.  

Here is the pattern all put together and cut out.

 Here are the two fabrics that I chose to use.

 I trace the pattern out with a pencil on the wrong side of the fabric first.

I pin the fabric together and cut around the out line.  (I went back and read over the instructions a little while ago and found out that I skipped a few steps...I didn't know that you were supposed to cut about 1/2" around the pattern piece to allow for a seam allowance...oops.  It still turns out alright.)  

They look like bats when you cut them out...interesting.

Then I remove the pins and cut out the other fabric which I already did by the time I thought about taking pictures of this.

Unfold the cut out pieces and iron the fold out as flat as you can.

 Lay the right sides of the fabrics together.

 Pin all the way around and leave a marking at the bottom so that you know where to leave about a 3" to 4" opening.

This is to show you what seam allowance I use.  Make sure you tack at each end of your sewing so that it doesn't unravel while you pull it right side out.

 Here is the opening I pulled it through.

After you pull it out the right way, iron the seams flat.  But make sure you get the corners pushed out as best you can before you iron it.

Now, to close the opening, I put the apron on the ironing board and pinned the top fabric back out of the way.  

 I folded the bottom fabric up and pinned it to the ironing board to hold it in place.


Then I did the same thing only for the top, making sure that the raw edges of the fabric end up on the inside of the apron.

I then pinned it so that I could sew around the edges.  

 I messed up a little at the bottom so I satin stitched  it a little...

 Here it is after I sewed around the apron.

 I used these snaps in stead of tying the apron at the top.  That makes it easy to get in and out.

 Here it is with all the snaps!

Here it is all finished!!

How cute!


It's completely reversible too!!

I didn't add any pockets to mine or anything else to mine.  Here are a few links to other versions of this apron.  one  two  three  four  five  Post yours in the comments!  Happy crafting!

1 comment: